REOPENING OF CHURCHES
Our churches will be open for Mass and private prayer at the following times in the next week:
Please note that our churches will be open for times of private prayer and Mass as listed above. Please follow the one way systems in place and use face coverings. We are advised that it is best if the toilets are not in use. Ventilation of buildings is needed according to the latest instructions to lessen transmission of COVID, so windows or doors will remain open, dress accordingly!
Anyone with any COVID like symptoms should not attend any public space.
As you will have seen, the government plan to lift restrictions on 21st June has been delayed by 4 weeks.
As a consequence our plans for a phased lifting of restrictions will also be delayed. We are all looking forward to returning to something approaching normality but are equally conscious that the pandemic is not over, and we want to make sure people feel both safe and confident when they come to mass. The revised timetable is as follows. This is dependent on the national and local guidance enabling a relaxation:
In the weeks of 25th July and 1st August:
- Keep the one way system in place
- Take ropes off pews to allow seating on each row
- 3 persons per pew (or 1 family group)
- Masks to be retained for those who feel more comfortable to do so
- Communion to remain at the end of mass
- Cleaning undertaken after every mass
From the week of 8th August:
- Socially distancing paused
- Mask wearing not enforced
- Communion returned to ‘normal’ position in mass
- Entry /exit unmanaged
We do not expect that communion both ways and hand shake at the sign of peace will be restored immediately and await further guidance on singing.
We are proposing to retain stewards at every mass and expand the role to fulfil the Holy Father’s call to accompaniment of the faithful and those without faith in welcoming all into our churches. If you are interested in helping with this please contact Fr Steven.
PARISH OF ST MICHAEL & ST BERNADETTE
FROM JULY 2020
GUIDELINES FOR MASS AT THIS PRESENT TIME
- We are reminded that there remains no obligation to attend Mass at this time. Anyone with any COVID type symptoms should not attend any public gathering.
- We have organised our buildings with a 2 metre distance, so that we do not need to sign “Track and Tracing” paperwork, nor wear face coverings.
- Unfortunately in these circumstances, we are not in a position to have our much appreciated sacristans and servers.
- Please come in “households” arriving by the ramp door at St Bernadette’s and the main door at St Michael’s. Social distancing needs to be observed whilst entering the church.
- The seating capacity in each building is limited. Peoples’ “usual seats” are not available. If you would prefer, you will be able to remain outside and hear Mass relayed through the outdoor loud-speakers. Bring a garden chair if you would rather be outside (or for when the church is filled to capacity).
- We will rely upon stewards to guide our arrival and seating, both our churches will be open half an hour before Mass to enable the stewards to begin their guiding.
- For the duration of Mass we will stand and sit as appropriate, please refrain from using the kneelers.
- We are unable to have singing, please make spoken responses softly to limit the vapour transmitted in the air. There will be no bidding prayers and no offertory procession. Offertory donations can be left in the basket by the exit.
- Holy Communion will be distributed under one kind and in the hand only, at the end of Mass as people then depart. Please outstretch your arms fully to receive Holy Communion which will be offered and received without speaking.
- Please ensure you have not left anything where you were seated, leaving via the side entrance at St Bernadette’s and the Arch-Angel room at St Michael’s.
- Once the departing congregation has received Holy Communion, it will be brought outside to anyone wishing to receive.
- In our delight at seeing parishioners and friends – socially distanced – please do not congregate around the exits!
Welcome to the parish community of St Michael’s and St Bernadette’s
We are in the process of updating our website as we begin amalgamating our two parishes into one parish community with two churches! We will be updating information over the coming weeks to reflect what goes on across our expanded parish community. However, most of the information applies across both churches and parishioners are invited to join in any of the activities.
Weekend Mass Times
Sat: 6:00 pm Mass (St Bernadette’s)
Sun: 9:30 am Mass (St Michael’s)
Sun: 11:00 am Mass (St Bernadette’s)
For weekday Services and Confessions, please check the Parish Newsletter as these vary from week to week and alternate between our two Churches.